The Partnership for a Healthier Carroll County coordinates local assistance to Carroll residents seeking to enroll in health care insurance through the Maryland Health Connection (MHC).
The Partnership is the local organization working with Healthy Howard’s Door to HealthCare.
Open Enrollment for 2015 has ended. However, MEDICAID enrollment is available year-round.
Open Enrollment is when Marylanders can enroll in or make changes to their health insurance plans through the Maryland Health Connection. Open Enrollment this year was from November 15, 2014 through February 15, 2015. During Open Enrollment you can find out if you qualify for tax credits or cost sharing to lower your insurance costs, depending on your household income and family size.
There are special life and income changes that may qualify individuals and families to apply and enroll in coverage outside of the Open Enrollment period. These changes include:
- Getting married or divorced,
- Having a child, adopting a child, or placing a child for adoption or in foster care,
- Certain changes in income,
- Moving to or from Maryland, and certain moves within the state,
- Having a change in disability status,
- Gaining or losing a dependent,
- Becoming pregnant,
- Certain losses of other health coverage (such as employer ending coverage, or loss of job or employee leaving a job that provides coverage, but not termination for consumer’s failure to pay plan premium),
- Becoming ineligible for Medicaid or MCHP,
- Turning 26 years old if you are enrolled in coverage through your family’s plan,
- COBRA coverage period ends,
- Certain errors or exceptional circumstances – these are reviewed on a case-by-case basis,
- Other changes that may affect eligibility, including:
- change in tax filing status,
- change of citizenship or immigration status,
- incarceration or release from incarceration,
- change in status as an American Indian/Alaska Native or tribal status.
If you think you may qualify for a life event or income change, or for MEDICAID, free in-person help is available in Carroll County. Call the Door to Healthcare at 855-288-DOOR (3667) or visit DoortoHealthCare.org to set up an appointment with state-certified staff. In most cases, you have 60 days from the life or income change to enroll in new coverage.
Help with applying is available through many sources:
- You may visit the Maryland Health Connection web site, or call 855-642-8572.
- In addition, a list of licensed health insurance brokers is available through the Maryland Health Connection.
You can get help from trained staff at the locations below to shop, compare and determine eligibility for a plan that best meets your needs. Assisters can help you determine Medicaid eligibility. Navigators can help you determine Medicaid eligibility and also assist with Medicaid enrollment. In addition, Navigators can help you apply for a private insurance plan on the Health Exchange, and determine if you are eligible for federal tax credits or subsidies to help cover your insurance costs.
An Assister or a Navigator can be found at the following locations in Carroll County:
- Access Carroll, Inc. – Assisters and Navigator
- Carroll County Department of Social Services – Navigator only
- Carroll County Health Department – Navigator only
Call 855-288-DOOR (855-288-3667) TOLL-FREE for more information or visit the Maryland Health Connection.
HEALTH INSURANCE BASICS
The Maryland Health Connection is Maryland’s Health Benefit Exchange. The health plans on the Health Benefit Exchange are known as Qualified Health Plans, or QHP’s. Financial aid toward monthly premium costs and out-of-pocket health expenses (such as deductibles, co-pays, and co-insurance) is available to those who qualify. The amount of assistance is based on family size and household income.
MEDICAID (Medical Assistance)
Medicaid enrollment is open all year long. It assists low-income families and individuals who fall below the federal poverty level. You can check eligibility guidelines or enroll in Medicaid at:
- the Carroll County Department of Social Services,
- the Carroll County Health Department,
- online at MarylandHealthConnection.gov
- at one of the Navigator or Assister locations, listed HERE.
▪ Door to HealthCare – Connector Entity for Carroll and other Western Maryland counties
▪ Maryland Health Connection – Maryland’s health insurance marketplace (all counties)
▪ Tax Penalties Explained (PDF)
▪ Health Education & Advocacy – Office of the Maryland Attorney General
▪ HealthCare.gov – U.S. Department of Health and Human Services