The Partnership for a Healthier Carroll County coordinates local assistance to Carroll residents seeking to enroll in health care insurance through the Maryland Health Connection.
The Partnership works with Healthy Howard’s Door to HealthCare, which is the coordinating agency for health insurance enrollment assistance in the western Maryland region.
Open Enrollment to buy a qualified health plan for 2016 starts November 1, 2015 and continues through January 31, 2016.
Open Enrollment is when Marylanders can enroll in or make changes to their health insurance plans through the Maryland Health Connection. During Open Enrollment you can find out if you qualify for tax credits or cost sharing to lower your insurance costs, depending on your household income and family size.
Help with applying is available from several sources:
- Visit DoortoHealthCare.org or call the Door to Healthcare at 855-288-DOOR (3667) to set up an appointment in Carroll County with state-certified staff. You can get help from trained staff at the locations below to shop, compare and determine eligibility for a plan that best meets your needs:
- Access Carroll, Inc. – appointments only,
- Carroll County Department of Social Services – walk-in help available Monday through Friday; appointments on Wednesdays,
- Carroll County Health Department – appointments only,
- Carroll Hospital – appointments only.
In addition, a list of licensed health insurance brokers in Carroll County is available through the Maryland Health Connection.
HEALTH INSURANCE BASICS
The Maryland Health Connection is Maryland’s health benefit exchange. The health plans on the Health Benefit Exchange are known as Qualified Health Plans, or QHP’s. Financial aid toward monthly premium costs and out-of-pocket health expenses (such as deductibles, co-pays, and co-insurance) is available to those who qualify. The amount of assistance is based on family size and household income.
MEDICAID (Medical Assistance)
Medicaid enrollment is open all year long. It assists low-income families and individuals who fall below the federal poverty level. You can check eligibility guidelines or enroll in Medicaid at:
- the Carroll County Department of Social Services,
- the Carroll County Health Department,
- online at MarylandHealthConnection.gov
- at one of the Navigator or Assister locations, listed HERE.
▪ Door to HealthCare – the connector entity for Carroll and other Western Maryland counties: USE THIS LINK TO SCHEDULE APPOINTMENTS LOCALLY IN CARROLL COUNTY.
▪ Maryland Health Connection – Maryland’s health insurance marketplace (all counties): USE THIS LINK TO ENROLL IN INSURANCE AND TO SEE IF YOU QUALIFTY FOR FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE.
▪ Tax Penalties Explained (PDF)
▪ Health Education & Advocacy – Office of the Maryland Attorney General
▪ Protect Yourself From Fraud (PDF)